Jan 31, 2014

Vegan Pancakes with Apple Pear Compote


When I studied, I used to eat breakfast food all day long. Cereal for lunch? Yes please! Pancakes for dinner? Sure!! Growing up and moving in with a man changed certain things. My eating habits changed (thank God!) but sometimes, when my boyfriend is out with his friends, I go back to my breakfast-eating-all-day-long days. Yes. I eat oatmeal, cereals or pancakes while I watch girlie TV shows. And I love it. Last night I made fluffy vegan pancakes, drizzled them with maple syrup and served them to myself with some apple pear compote. Delicious! Wanna join me? Let's go then:

Here's what you need for 1 serving size (you can easily double the recipe)

For the pancakes (recipe adapted from the pretty bee):
  • 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
  • 2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp almond milk
  • 1 tsp olive (or canola) oil plus one extra for frying
  • pinch of salt
  • 6 drops of Stevia or 2 tsp brown sugar

For the compote:
  • 1 small apple
  • 1 small pear
  • 3 tbsp water

To garnish:
  • Maple syrup or honey (if not vegan)

Instructions:
For the compote: Wash and core the fruit and cut it in slices. Cook with water on low heat with the lid covered for about 10 minutes. 
For the pancakes: Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Add the wet ingredients and let rise for about 3 minutes. Melt the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Spoon the batter into the pan and cook until you see the edges starting to turn golden brown. Flip the pancakes and fry them for another 3 minutes. Serve with the compote and drizzle with the maple syrup or honey. Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. That compote looks too good! These are just what I've been needing; some good vegan comfort food. The fruit is so vibrant and the pancakes have that perfect texture. Are second breakfasts allowed? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge lover of breakfast for dinner too! Especially if it looks as delish as these pancakes... and healthy too! What a winner recipe! I need to try this soon ;--)
    Have a lovely weekend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Amy, you individual pancakes look very pretty and they sound quite delicious - I love adding spelt flour to all kinds of baked goods or bread but I have not tried adding it to pancake batter though. Must try next time I am making pancakes. The apples and pears "compote" is as pretty as the pancakes - sliced, not cooked into a compote - so much better, just fabulous!
    Liebe Grüße,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, Amy- I could eat this kind of thing at every meal. And that all changed for me too, when I got married! "Where's the meat???" Ha! These look so lovely, I'd just love a plate of your pancakes, in front of the tv with a girly show on :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you...