Jan 9, 2014

Vegan Homemade Gnocchi

 






















Let's talk about comfort food. Shall we? To me, comfort food isn't only necessary during winter season, nooooo way. I need comfort food all year long. Period. Comfort food includes carbs. Always. I always wanted to make gnocchi by my own. They simply represent perfect comfort food to me. Pillowy soft gnocchi drizzled with a bit of olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt equals comfort food heaven in my world. Or covered with a homemade marinara sauce? Or tossed together with some pesto sauce? Either way, these little gems are just too good. The need a little bit of time but they are definitely worth it! Wanna came with me to comfort food heaven? Let's go!

Here's what you need for 4 serving sizes:

For the gnocchi (recipe adapted from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking)
  • 1 1/2 lbs mealy cooking potatoes (such as russet potatoes)
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Instructions:
Cook the potatoes in a large pan in well salted water until fork tender. Remove the skin while they are still hot and mash very well with a potatoe masher.  Add the flour and salt. Work the flour into the potatoes until it become a soft, pliable dough. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky! Cut dough into 3-4 equal pieces and roll the pieces into ropes. Line the ropes up next to one another and cut your gnocchi into approximately 1″ pieces. You can either cook them this way or choose to roll your gnocchi on the back of a fork (or gnocchi board) to get the grooved texture. Place the gnocchi at the top of the fork tines and gently press down, rolling it across the fork with your thumb. Now put the
gnocchi into soft boiling water (the water shouldn't have big bubbles, this would ruin the gnocchi).When they float to the surface they are done (it takes about 4 minutes). Remove immediately from water and sprinkle with olive oil and your favorite sauce! Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. What?! Gnocchi is seriously that easy?! Wow, you've just opened up a whole new world to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool!!! Hope you will enjoy them :) xox Amy

      Delete
  2. Yum! Gnocchi is definitely a perfect comfort food, and I love that you made it vegan-friendly! Stay warm (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've nevermade gnocchi, but now I think I need to. It looks so comforting and delicious, what a treat! ;--) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Consuelo!!! These are a true treat, you are so right! xox Amy

      Delete
  4. I thought gnocchi would be way harder to make! I occasionally buy a pre-packaged kind or go out to an expensive restaurant in town. now I can make my own, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you got inspired by my post Kelly!! :)
      xox Amy

      Delete
  5. I couldn't agree with you more, Amy! Piillowy soft gnocchi are the ultimate comfort food for me too. Yours are perfect in their simplicity :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made gnocchi with ricotta but your version looks like little clouds of delight. It's the perfect pasta for a hard winter and you're right, completely comforting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you...