Dec 15, 2013

Cinnamon Coconut Banana Bread



Making banana bread on a cold sunday morning was the perfect thing to do today. Especially when you can enjoy it with a big cup of coffee watching your favorite TV shows you couldn't watch during a busy week. This cinnamony and coconutty banana bread filled my apartment the whole day with an irresistible christmasy smell and I couldn't leave my cosy little nest all day long. But honestly,  silly TV shows and freshly baked banana bread is all that this girl needs sometimes to be happy and satisfied for a (a few days) cold sunday :) Here we go:

Makes one 9 x 12 loaf :

(Recipe inspired from Nigel Slater and The Kitchen Lioness)

  • 175 grs (6oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 130 grs (4.5oz) sugar (half light muscovado, half golden caster)
  • 75 grs (2 1/2oz) ground almonds
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 175 grs (6oz) flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 very ripe bananas (mashed) plus one for the topping (sliced)
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • zest of half a lemon
  • 3 tbsp shredded coconut plus 1 tbsp for the topping

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius or 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line the base and sides of a 20cm x 12 cm (8 inches x 5 inches) loaf pan with parchment paper. In a bowl beat the butter and the sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the flour, salt, the almonds, the baking powder, the cinnamon, the lemon zest and the coconut. Mix well and add the mashed bananas. Scoop the batter in your prepared baking pan. Top with the sliced banana and 1 tbsp shredded coconut. Bake for 60-70 minutes, covering the cake with foil if the top starts to darken too quickly. Transfer the bread to a wire rack and let cool before removing from the pan. Enjoy!!



10 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! A perfect Christmas gift in my book! I always love to receive food! I better pin it for later <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Serena! I was indeed thinking of making this as a Christmas gift :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness Amy, this looks incredible. I love all breads, but this one? I cannot wait to try this. I just made banana bread, but next batch, I am definitely using this recipe! Your presentation is so neat! That ribbon and bell combo - this would be such a fun gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Mary Frances!! That's so sweet of you and I really hope you will like this version! :)
      xox Amy

      Delete
  3. Dear Amy, I am so glad that you enjoyed this wonderful recipe from Nigel Slater - for us, there is simply no better Banana Bread/Cake recipe than this one. I have made it more times than I care to count. But you took it to such a pretty, Christmassy level - it is simply beautiful, my dear. Totally love the changes and the presentation!
    Thank you very much for taking the time to let me know that you enjoyed this recipe and for mentioning "KL" in your blog post! I really appreciate it! Hugs for that!!!
    Hope you are having a wonderful "Advent", dear friend!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you dear Andrea, to me there is also no better banana bread recipe out there than this one :) I'm so glad you like my presentation and my little changes :)
      xox Amy

      Delete
  4. This bread is so pretty! Love those sliced bananas on top. This would make a great food gift, and not only during the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Banana Bread and warm bevegabrs on a cold Sunday are the best thing! Yours came out beautifully and I bet it tastes delish as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love banana bread! Great idea to add cinnamon and coconut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, Amy! I love the addition of coconut. There's something soothing about making banana bread, and it not only smells delicious, but also tastes wonderful. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you...