Dec 10, 2013

Cauliflower Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Cilantro

 

When I first tried Sushi, I didn't like it. In fact I thought that it was one of the most disgusting things I've eaten so far. Drinking coffee a few decades years ago? Same story. I couldn't believe how people can actually like this plonk. The first bite of fettuccini with truffle oil? Ugh. "What's all about this ugly tasting mushroom?" I thought. My point here? It's the same with cauliflower and me. First, like all the above mentioned foods, I hated it (and you know how much I adore vegetables!). And now, I couldn't imagine my kitchen without it! For this recipe, I roasted the cauliflower in the oven and turned it into a beautiful salad with cilantro and pomegranate seeds (and yes, I had leftovers from this post). It's a lovely starter and I think the pomegranate seeds make it a little bit festive. Here we go:

Roasted Cauliflower Salad (inspired by Yotam Ottolenghi's Jerusalem Cookbook)
 
For the salad:
  •  one large cauliflower
  • a few spashes of olive oil
  • coarse sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper

For the dressing:
  • 3-4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
  • zest of half a lemon (organic)
  • coarse sea salt
  • freshly ground pepper

To assemble:
  • cilantro (or chive, parsley or basil)
  • pomegranate seeds

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius. Brush a large baking sheet with some olive oil. Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Spread them out on the prepared tray and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender and it's edges are slightly toasted. Allow to cool a little bit. Mix all the ingredients for the dressing. Mix the cauliflower with the dressing and garnish with some pomegranate seeds and cilantro. Serve with some toasted bread and enjoy!!



4 comments:

  1. I used to hate cauliflower as well, but now I'm all mad about it. I've been having mashed cauliflower for the past three nights, and I'm happy that I can add this recipe to my cauliflower repertoire now ;--) Thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha nice to hear we are on the same page with cauliflower!! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment dear Consuelo!
      xox Amy

      Delete
  2. Cauliflower isn't my favorite veggie, but I can't imagine not liking this, with the cilantro and the pomegranates. You have a knack for beautiful and delicious salads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's so sweet of you!! I hope you like cauliflower this way :) xox Amy

      Delete

Your comments make my day! Thank you...