Dec 29, 2013

Beetroot, Apple and Fennel Soup

Hello everyone! I hope you had a great Christmas with your families and loved ones! After the feasting over the last days, I was in the mood for a simple and clean vegetable soup. To get some inspiration, I browsed through Gwyneth Paltrow's It's all good and the moment I saw her beetroot soup my decision was taken! The deep red color immediately caught my attention. If you like beetroot, you will love this soup! The earthy taste of the beetroots is lovely combined with the sweetness of the fennel and the apples. It's easy to prepare, healthy, pretty and totally delicious! Here we go:

Here's what you need for 4 servings (recipe adapted from Gwyneth Paltrow's Book)
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 small fennel bulbs or 1 large one (cored and diced)
  • 2 small apples or 1 large one (cored and diced)
  • 3 small beetroots (peeled and cut)
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • a generous dollop of soy yoghurt (or normal yoghurt if not vegan)
  • salt and freshly ground pepper 

Instructions:
Heat the oil in a large pot and roast the onion, the thyme and the garlic over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add the diced beetroot and the stock. Bring to boil then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the apple and the fennel and let simmer for another 12-15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and tender. Blend carefully until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper and reheat before serving. Garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche or (soy)-yoghurt and enjoy!!


12 comments:

  1. Her book is very inspiring! All the recipes for beetroot soup that I've seen have served it cold - not what you want in winter. I might try this! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really recommend to serve it hot! I hope you will like it as much as I did :) Many thanks for stopping by!
      xox Amy

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous post. The soup must be quite sweet with the apples and beets. This might just convince me to buy Gwyneth's cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Gabrielle! Yes, it was a little bit sweet indeed!
      xox Amy

      Delete
  3. I adore beets, especially at this time of year! What a gorgeous soup, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color of this is incredibly pretty ^^ And I'm sure this is delish too!
    Hope you have a happy new year dear! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! Only the best wishes for the new year for you too dear!!
      xox Amy

      Delete
  5. You make the prettiest healthy foods! Apples and beets sound amazing. Have a Happy New Years Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you Mary Frances!! Thank you!
      xox Amy

      Delete
  6. I love that cookbook! I'm not a fan of beet anything but the flavors in this soup sound really interesting. Merry christmas and Happy New years to you my dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it definitely too! It's really an amazing book! Many thanks for stopping by dear Reba :)
      xox Amy

      Delete

Your comments make my day! Thank you...